In this post, I listed out all the reasons I wasn’t blogging as honestly as I could, and a lot of them revolved around fear. Since I’m a quotes kinda gal, (I collect them like kids collect stickers) I thought that to help myself overcome my fears and get a motivational boost along the way, I would find a 10 of my favorite quotes to help overcome fear. Fear has a stronger hold on me more than I would like to admit, and it can often paralyze me from taking action and stepping a outside my comfort zone, even for great rewards.
When I am at my best creatively, I move out of my own way, get into the ‘zone’ and drop any fear or inhibition I have around what I am doing…
Unfortunately this seems to happen most often when I’m designing, crafting or painting. I know that I really flourish when I am able to let go, especially when I am being artsy with the belief that no art is perfect and that’s what makes it beautiful. I just can’t seem to extend that care free feeling to any other areas of my life… So below are the top 10 quotes that I chose that I found sincere meaning and motivation in. I hope they help you as much as they have helped me!
1. Thinking will not overcome fear, but action will. – Clement Stone
2. Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy. – Dale Carnegie
3. The scariest moment, is always just before you start. – Stephen King
Let’s be clear about one thing, I am a SUPER over thinker. I live in my head a lot, which only perpetuates the cycle of fear taking control. All it takes is putting my shoes on and stepping out the door to start my run or pulling out all the painting supplies without thinking about it first. We get points for just showing up and after we show up, it’s an easy step to start acting.
4. The amateur believes he must first overcome his fear; then he can do his work. The professional knows that fear can never be overcome. He knows there is no such thing as a fearless warrior or a dread-free artist. – Steven Pressfield
This quote just speaks to me so much! Fear is actually a good thing in most cases, it helps us to stay alive, make split important decisions, and can inspire change. Viewing fear as something that you can truly overcome and be rid of is such a daunting task, not to mention, impossible. Accepting that fear is a part of life can encourage you creatively, pushing you to be your best and never give up.
5. You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, ‘I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.’ You must do the thing you think you cannot do. – Eleanor Roosevelt
6. Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free. – Jim Morrison
These quotes inspire me to take a positive spin on fear, when it usually has such a negative meaning. The word ‘fear” seems scary. When you can take something you fear and do it, it is so rewarding to look back and see how you have grown from doing that one thing, not to mention that you did it! You really did something scary! For a small moment, you feel as if you conquered the world! That my friends, is a feeling worth chasing after.
7. “It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. -Theodore Roosevelt
8. Failure is success if we learn from it. – Malcolm Forbes
There is always going to be that lingering “what if?” What if I’m not perfect? What if no one likes me? What if no one reads my blog? What if I fail? All of those thoughts can lead to inaction, allowing fear to paralyze us. Failure is a hard thing to accept, no one likes to admit they failed and no one likes to be told they failed. However, even riskier than failing is never allowing yourself the chance to succeed. You never know if you will succeed unless you try. If you do fail, you still are successful because you did it in the first place, when a lot of people choose not to.
9. Turn Fear into Curiosity. – Chris Guillebeau
I had the privilege of meeting and hearing Chris speak at a book signing a few weeks ago. This was something he said when asked how he overcame fear on his journey. I’m working to adopt this idea daily! Being curious can lead to experiencing many things you may not have before; small children are the perfect example, they’re always getting into something simply because their curiosity led them there. There’s no pressure to be successful if you are curious, but it definitely holds open the door for you to take a chance without fear holding you back.
10. Do not let your fears choose your destiny. ~ Unknown
For someone who is often frozen by their fears, this quote speaks volume to me. I can choose to succumb to what I fear or I can choose to work on overcoming it, which could lead to incredible success as well as self fulfillment. This realization is a huge motivator for me to keep trying, and putting myself out there because if I don’t, then I have to accept that I failed. That’s not an option for me. I refuse to let what I fear have that much control over my life.
Bonus: Where fear is, happiness is not. ~Seneca
I added this as a bonus quote because I’m a person who likes to be happy. It’s a great, simple reminder as to why I should not give up and let fear take over.
What do you fear? How do you overcome those fears? I’d love to hear any other quotes that speak to you!